Wednesday 19 May 2010

Live music, Jamie Cullum and Teeth!

For the last 2 Saturday's I have performed at Caesars and I really just love it! I've added some great tunes to my repertoire - Cry me a River, Aint no Sunshine, Fever, Feelin' Good - the audience clearly respond to the more well known ones and I love the more modern Jazz classics and love putting my own spin on them! And with respect to Selby, it's probably a little different to what they are used to, whether it's the live music, live saxophonist or live female playing sax!

This is where I get to do my little shpeel of appreciation - many of my students and friends have already come to see me over the last few weeks to give me support - but they have also probably felt obliged to come after my relentless emails and texts (sorry, unless you ask to be removed from my list, you're staying on!:-)) and also out of curiosity (can she actually play???!!).

I must take this oppotunity to say, your support means more to me than anything. And not just for me but in support of live music which I feel very strongly about - there is just not enough. I have had so many great comments, not least for the cute dresses! (Heck, I'm a mother the other 6 1/2 days a week I don't perform so it's nice to feel like I've still got something!), but also for my playing. My fantastic friend Jane has such huge plans for me that I'll be an international star if she had her way! Dreaming aside... I am keen to grow my performance side as and when I have the time, and if you enjoy it, all I can ask is you spread the word!

In my bid to support live music, I have decided to hold a concert in aid of a local, music related charity (details to follow, but trust me, this charity is worth it) towards the end of the summer with my students being the star performers! Watch this space!

I just cannot finish this blog without mentioning that Ben and I had the most fantastic night last night (Tuesday 18th)with Jamie Cullum! What a fantastic, innovative, inspiring and natural performer he is, who engaged every single one of his audience! Totally amazing! If you get the opportunity to see him, WELL WORTH IT!

And finally, Ellie's 1st tooth fell out on Sunday - she was very brave (given the amount of blood shed over the previous 3 weeks because of it!) and her toothfairy 'Flowerbell' left a very nice letter and a shiny coin. Ellie still cannot belive how she managed to bring the letter and coin when a fairy is so small! (Oh to be 5...!)

This weekend should be fantastic as well as slightly more stressful for me as we are going to Ben's mum's 60th (it's a surprise, don't tell her!) and I am also playing a few tunes at the party of Sunday - that in itself is not a worry, but it's the fact that I am playing with a most fantastically accomplished and successful musician, Ben's cousin Nathan (sadly cousin on other side of family, Ben SO has no musical skills at all! But I still love you more than ever! (not like I could do a triathlon tomorrow is it?! That's why we're made for each other xxx)

In the words of Friedrich Nietzche, "Without music, life would be an error".

Never a truer word.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment