Monday 3 May 2010

Fullfilling a Dream...

Have you ever come to a point in your life when you say to yourself, 'if you don't do it now, you never will'?

A few weeks ago, I saw an opportunity, asked myself that very question and now I am fullfilling one of my life long ambitions - performing live again - not something I've really done in years and not something I've ever done just me, on my own.

Okay, so I'm not exactly performing in some huge concert hall or arena, and nobody has a clue who I am, but that's not the point. I am playing at Caesars Restaurant which is a very nice venue in Selby with fantastic acoustics (I think it used to be the old Savation Army building), which is now being run by a new and very enthusiastic manager who wants his business to be a success and can see the potential in having live music as a way to offer his customers something different.

How did it start? Ben and I went out for a meal for the 1st time in oh, about 3 YEARS! It's difficult getting out with no family close and young children, but we have promised to make an effort. It was a lovely evening and I particularly noted the very talented young pianist (Liam he is called), and with the help of a glass of wine or 2(!) I said to Ben, 'I could do that'. When paying the bill, that question 'If you don't do it now, you never will' was firmly in my mind (as was the wine!) so I asked the manager if he would be interested in having a saxophoninst play and he said, yes, do you know one?

I now play a 2 hour set of jazz sax the last Sunday of each month 2-4pm, and a Saturday evening a month and it is one of the best feelings in the world when I am up there playing.

I am writing this blog to share my experiences and feelings about where this new branch of my musical journey will take me and I hope you enjoy taking the journey with me!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds brilliant Sarah, like being re-born, especially discovering stepping out of a comfort zone is not that uncomfortable and you're good at it!!
    H x

    ReplyDelete