Thursday 6 May 2010

The Beginning...


Okay, so it's not quite the beginning of my playing career, but after not having the confidence to do 'total' solo performance when I was younger (I had plenty of opportunities but I liked the support - believe it or not, I was shy!), I have now discovered my own personal 'Ironman'!

For the average person who does 0 - average exercise, an Ironman consists of a 2.4 miles swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride and then a 26 mile run). I hope I have got that right as my husband has done 3 of these 'superhuman' competitions! (each to their own...!)

Clearly the physical efforts during one of my performances are not quite up to Ironman standard (but if you asked my strained ribs that, they might not agree after still being in agony 2 weeks after my last performance!). The comparison is in the 'training'.

Ben trains to achieve his goal of Ironman and other triathlons inbetween. I am now in training to do my 'Ironman' and have some great gigs inbetween. The problem is we now both have the same problem - Time!

Since that comment to the manager at Caesars, (Would you be interested in a saxophoninst?), I was in a rather awkward position of agreeing to do something but not actually having any material to perform - could have proved rather embarrassing, but as it turned out, with thanks to Ben and the girls, for giving me that time and support, I have managed to accumulate a portfolio of 54 songs (and growing!), each of which have required some element of writing solos (and I never knew I was any good at composing until I did this either!).

I got a quiet lunch time gig out of the way just to prove to myself that I was capable of some element of playing, loved that, so drafted myself in for a Bank Holiday evening. I then sold the idea of a regular 'Sunday Jazz Club' lunch to the Manager which now happens the last Sunday lunch of each month (2-4pm!) and then last night, I did my 2nd Saturday evening, which I can honestly say, is the best feeling ever playing to a full restaurant! Heck, I've even been in the local rag the last 3 weeks running!

Hey, I've also had some fantastic support from many of my friends who have come down to see me, thanks and I just hope you enjoyed the experience of live music - your support is always welcome and appreciated.

My mum, dad, brother David and his gorgeous family also came to the last Sunday lunch Jazz club - don't think David has ever heard me play, and my mum and dad probably not since I was practicing in the front room at home many eons ago! Thank you for coming along, that was a special day xxx

I must also reiterrate how important Ben's support is in all of this as he knows me and he knows this is important to me and knowing how proud he is, makes it even more worthwhile (as is the new wardrobe which I have HAD to get in support of my new venture! ;-)!!!)

I am now up to date in terms of writing my blog in real time, so bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment